Thursday, June 01, 2006

When Love Goes Astray

My name is Agatha, and I am approximately five years old. I am what is called a Maine Coon Cat, and Annie says that I am very pretty.

Most days, I seldom leave my room. My special place is a window perch in Annie's office where I like to sit and watch the world go by (from a safe distance).

My life before coming here was very hard...I was often kicked in my sides for reasons that I could not comprehend, and to this day I am terrified to be at floor level within easy reach of moving feet. I have some kidney problems, too, that I probably developed as a result of being kicked and beaten. A few months ago, I suffered a severe health crisis, but as a result of medication, and much love and prayer, I have been showing steady improvement since that time. My doctor says it is unknown what the future holds for me, but he is holding out a lot of hope for my complete recovery!

I guess that's what today's post is mainly all about...Hope.

Slowly, I am learning to trust again, and Annie says that one day she and I will dance together without fear. I am getting where I am sometimes able to allow Annie to walk near me ... just so long as she whispers "It's okay" as she passes by ... to remind me that I am safe here now.

Annie actually found me out at our local animal control one day a couple of years back when she was out there to help locate a missing dog. I was huddled in the back of my cage and had almost given up on life. My heart and spirit were broken. Mostly, I had lost all hope.

But I have learned since coming here that where there is life, there IS hope! I can feel my heart stir when I see a butterfly flutter past my window, and I find myself eagerly listening for the voices that comfort me. Although it's too soon right now for dancing, I honestly am starting to believe that one day I just might walk alongside Annie and not be afraid!

The other day, while gazing out my window, I saw a car pull up out front and release eight cats into our front yard. They were so scared and afraid, and I recognized the look of hopelessness and fear in their eyes. In that moment, as in my youth, I again glimpsed the horror of love gone astray.

Since then, Annie has been able to catch two of those poor souls and they are in our shelter now. They are somewhat afraid still, but luckily, they were rescued before too much damage could be done to them out there on the street. For the other six remaining, they are mostly feral now, and Annie has to content herself with making sure they have plenty of food and fresh water to eat every day. But she talks to them often...if only from a distance...And although we know from past experience that it isn't too likely, we haven't lost hope that one day we can welcome them into our shelter, too.

There just aren't too many happy endings when love goes astray...when people who we have loved with all of our hearts have hurt and abandoned us. And even though I have now known kindness and felt its tender touch, there is a part of my soul which will forever remain a prisoner to sorrow and despair.

For as evening falls and I sit atop my window seat, unseen by man, I bear silent witness to the suffering of those who have not been as fortunate as I. And I shall not forget that I once walked among the forlorn creatures of the night.