Monday, June 19, 2006

FeLV (Not So) Positive

My name is Bangor (Bangy for short) and I have lived at Purr-Angels for three years now. I am about eight years old and I am an all-orange kitty. Here is a picture of me in my window seat:


I am not available for adoption because I am the mascot for Purr-Angels Cat Shelter. I guess you could say that sort of makes me in charge of all the other kitties!

When you read my story, you will see what a miracle that really is!

I was rescued in the Spring of 2003. I was living on the street, and I was very, very ill. One rainy night in early March, I found myself standing outside our local IHOP restaurant. I was so weak, and I was desperately hoping that someone would notice me.

Unbeknownst to me, earlier that day, our shelter worker, Annie, (who suffers from terrible migraines) had been sick all day, too! That evening, she awoke and felt a little better and decided to go to IHOP for a bite to eat. (She still didn't feel very well, and didn't feel like cooking.)

When she arrived, she saw a waitress standing outside, who pointed at me as Annie approached the front door. "He's been waiting here all day," the waitress said.

"Waiting?" Annie said to me. "Why, then, The Good Lord Himself must have awoken me from a sound sleep so I could come here and take you home!" she exclaimed.

From a carrier always kept in her van, Annie then scooped me up and placed me inside the contraption. She could see that I was burning up with fever.

I was taken to the doctor, and it was discovered that I had a temperature of 105! The doctor said that he had rarely seen a kitty with a temperature that high!

Annie also noticed that my gums and the pads on my paws were very white, which is a common sign of FeLV.

Several tests were taken, and I was given fluids, vitamins and antibiotic shots to try to get my raging fever under control.

After waiting anxiously for the test results to come back, the doctor at last returned and pronounced that I was indeed FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus) Positive.

The doctor told Annie that I had a very small chance of survival since I was already very ill with the virus. He warned her that the most she could hope to do was keep me as comfortable as possible until that sad day when my time finally came.

What's more, he told her that she must keep me separate from all the other cats, as FeLV is very highly contagious!

Now, if you could just see Purr-Angels, you would understand how impossible that sounded to Annie! There just isn't anywhere here without a cat, and Annie couldn't bear to keep me caged for a long period of time.

Annie decided that the only place where she could safely isolate me from all the other cats and allow me some measure of freedom was to keep me with her in the office.

Annie was very sad when she returned to the shelter with me that day. It seemed to us like I had been given a death sentence.

After she got me settled in, Annie whispered in my ear not to worry ... She promised me that she would take care of me throughout this dreaded illness and that I would never again be alone.

And so our journey together began.

For the next several months, my temperature would often spike. I would have to be rushed to the vet's office almost every other day to receive life-saving fluids and nutrients.

Between my doctor visits, Annie would often keep a cold cloth around me or give me cool baths to lower my fever. She soon discovered that I loved icy cold natural spring water, and she would offer it to me in a cup, which I soon demanded several times purr day.

Annie and I became deeply bonded over the days and months to come. Although it often seemed hopeless, we couldn't allow ourselves to give in to despair. We often prayed and asked the Lord for a miracle when it seemed my passing was imminent.

After many months, a time came when I had not had any relapses for at least two weeks. Carefully inspecting me, Annie noticed that the pads on my paws had become a lovely, deep-pink color, too! Her heart leaping with joy, Annie ran to the phone and called my doctor.

"Bring him in!" the doctor exclaimed. "We will do what is called an ELISA test to see what is going on!"

I was given the test the very next day, and this time it took two days for the results to come back.

The vet called Annie on the third day with the joyous news: I was FeLV negative!

The doctor proclaimed it a miracle! ... And Annie said I was a Miracle Cat!

You can only imagine how we all rejoiced that day!

My doctor said it was now safe that I join all the other kitties in the shelter, but I just didn't want to go. I loved my special place in Annie's office, so we decided that's just where I will stay! ... And that's how I became the mascot for Purr-Angels Cat Shelter.

Annie said that I taught her 'the three nevers': never give up, never lose hope ... and she said that's something she can never afford to forget!

And as for me, I'm here to remind everyone that nothing ... not even FeLV! ... can ever truly be positive in a world so full of God's love, tender mercies, and miracles.

So be sure to remember ... If you (or your kitty) have been diagnosed FeLV Positive, never give up, never lose hope, and ... most of all ... always think negative!