Friday, June 27, 2008

The War on Terriers

My name is Sam and I am Annie's beloved Bulldog/Poodle Mix. (If you can't quite picture that combination, here is a recent photo of me):
The reason I am writing in the Kitty Blog today is this: I have been hearing a lot on TV lately about The War on Terriers, and I have become quite worried and concerned! Some of my best friends are Terriers, and to be quite frank, I myself could have just a wee bit of Terrier in my own family tree! I just want to go on the record as saying that Terriers are truly wonderful dogs, and no home should be without one!
As deeply concerned as I am regarding the War on Terriers, I find myself even more distressed over The War on Pit Bull Terriers! I've been doing some research lately, and I've discovered that there is a whole lot of bull being spread around out there about the Bulls. (I am particularly sensitive to bull, seeing as how I am part Bulldog myself.)
Here are just a few things that I've learned that I think everyone should know about these great dogs:
**********
The Pit Bull is probably the most misunderstood dog in the United States. This is due to a tragic lack of public education. Even worse, the public only sees negative stories in the news. Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs in the hands of responsible guardians just like any other breed.

Here are a few common myths regarding Pit Bulls:

Pit Bulls have locking jaws. This is not true! The pit bulls jaws are the same as any other breed of dog! Any Veterinarian can verify this is simply a myth. Although Pit Bulls who have been bred as fighting dogs have been TAUGHT not to let go, their jaws are NOT locked. There is NO SUCH THING AS "JAW LOCKING" IN ANY BREED.

Pit Bulls are born to be mean. Again, not true! Pit Bulls, like all other breeds, are NOT born inherently mean or bad! They can, like any other breed, become dangerous through lack of training, abuse, neglect and irresponsible ownership and breeding.

If a dog shows agression towards other dogs, he will go after people next. WRONG AGAIN! Animal-aggression and people-aggression are two distinctive traits and should never be confused. Unless they have been very poorly bred and/or specifically "trained" to attack humans (often by undesirable individuals through abusive methods), Pit Bulls are by nature very good with people. They are in fact one of the most loving, loyal, friendly, and dedicated companions one can have.
Please click here to learn even more about Pit Bulls!
***********
Well, Annie says it's time for my afternoon nap now, so I must sign off; but rest assured, I'll be dreaming of a better, more compassionate, world for us all. I'd really like to thank all the kitties for letting me borrow their blog today to get the message out that there are all kinds of wonderful dogs out there in need of a good home, too! Please visit your local shelter and adopt a homeless dog...possibly a Pit Bull and a Terrier!... today!
Many of us may have come from unhappy or abusive homes, and as a result, some of us may even be carrying around a little extra baggage...But if you take the time to peek inside, you'll find that we all come bearing many wonderful and precious gifts, too!
"If you talk with the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears, one destroys."
~ CHIEF DAN GEORGE